This is a welcome news.Kerala has reserved 50% elected seats for women in civic bodies.Now kerala became the fourth state ,which implemented this.Other states are Chhattisgarh, Bihar and Maharashtra.
Now 50% of elected seats in panchayats and all other local bodies will be for women.
At present 33% of seats in civic bodies are constitutionally guaranteed for women. The law allows states to make amendments to raise it up to 50%.
It is expected that , the law would increase women's representation on administrative panels of civic bodies like standing committees, giving them a decisive say on important matters like budget allocations for welfare schemes.
Kerala has 999 village panchayats, 152 block panchayats, 14 district panchayats, 53 municipalities and five corporations.
This is a bold step towards gender equality.
- Nadiya Moidu and Mammootty In Doubles
- Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church to open Internati...
- S FM 93.5 is now Red FM 93.5
- Koratty (Thrissur) IT park to be launched by Novem...
- Mohanlal in 'Mummy and Me'
- Five Rules to save Malayalam film industry